Note: Written by Steve Ngai on 22nd February 2011 (Re-blog)
I am surprised and find it interesting after reading some articles about the positive of caffeine. Here are some of the points I have gathered from various sources.
Positive of caffeine (acceptable amount of caffeine, which is 1-2 cups a day)
- Caffeine breaks down fat, it releases the fatty acids which in turned are burned causing you to lose weight.
- Caffeine acts as a pain killer and is often contained in headache medicine. When caffeine is combined with headache medicine like ibuprofen, it brings faster and longer relief from headaches.
- Caffeine stimulates gastrointestinal to secrete gastric acid, helping to promote bowel movement, digestion, prevent gastroptosis, relax the bowels, and discharge toxins from our body.
- Caffeine helps to simulates central nervous system, resulting in increased alertness and wakefulness, faster and clearer flow of thought, increases focus and further increase the efficiency of work.
- Caffeine also helps to promote the functions of kidney, discharge excess sodium ion from body, increase in voided volume, and improve abdominal distention and edema.
- (and more)
Negative of caffeine (excessive amount of caffeine)
- Addiction – As your body gets used to caffeine, it becomes addicted to it.
- In women, the unwanted symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) may increase. The stimulation of the central nervous system may lead to the body’s inability to rejuvenate when at rest. The loss of urinary calcium and magnesium may increase, causing long-term bone consequences. Increased stomach acid secretion sometimes occurs, which can irritate a stomach ulcer.
- Dehydration is a main concern for people who consume a lot of coffee or caffeinated products. It affects the kidneys by causing diuretic results – increasing urine production and loss of water from the body. Since heightened urine production takes place, the chances of losing calcium contained within the fluid increases, which can affect bone density and possibly lead to osteoporosis. (More info).
- Additional conditions that develop or worsen due to over-consumption include cardiac arrhythmia, iron deficiency, and kidney stones.
I would like to encourage to do your own research as well to confirm certain points. 🙂
P/S – If you have heaty cough, I want to encourage to stop drinking coffee until you have recovered because coffee is heaty.